Thursday, January 10, 2013

Letter to myself (BFBloghop)



Today is the breastfeeding blog hop over at Sisters in Cloth and we are writing letters to ourselves as first time moms.

Dear a younger Nataline at the birth of Miss Froggie,
    Congratulations!  Miss Froggie has been born and will bring such joy and change to your life at home.   I have written and rewritten this letter, trying to get it just right.  You are now a mother and your number one job is to get to know your baby, to be an expert on her.  Trust yourself, trust your gut.  All the clichés about them growing up to fast, they are true.  Even the one about cooking and cleaning can wait until later... I wish I had learned live in the moment when she was born instead of when she was a middle-schooler.   And made the time to journal and keep a very good baby book for each baby.
     Take as long as you can for maternity leave.  Because once you go back it is harder to quit.  Having a car and stuff, it really is not as important as you think.  You can live with less.  You think that you will have more time and more money later… You will always want 10% more time and money than you have.  Figure out how to make time for what is important and how to spend less than you make now.
    That pacifier that you think is evil?  It is not.  Let her have it early or she won’t take it later.  You can wait until your milk comes in, but if she stays at the breast 24/7 you will have WAY too much milk.  And you will need a pump.  Because when your milk does come in, Miss Froggie won’t be able to latch on a bowling ball.  And while you are at it, get a good EXPENSIVE one.  But keep it forever!  (Even if you think you are done having kids.)
     If you want her to take a bottle, start her on it before 6 weeks.  And then make sure the milk is hot (100 degrees) because your breast milk is hot.  And at four months, when she starts to refuse the bottle you have a decision.  If you nurse her before she takes that bottle, she will quit taking a bottle all together.  It is ok if she won’t take a bottle, so if she is more stubborn than you fine.  But know that is the choice you are making. 
     And finally, you will love your babies so fiercely that you will be tempted to get your priorities out of whack.  Keep God first and husband second.  And make sure your husband knows he is more important than your babies by your actions not just your words. 
                                                                                                                Signed,
 An older Nataline

10 comments:

  1. Aww I love this I might right myself a letter too. I love how you said just give her the pacifier so true, we get so wrapped up in little things being bad that in the end it is not really a big deal:) And I wish I journaled too
    Thank you Nataline:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jennifer, we do get wrapped up in the little things. I guess I should take my own advice and at least start journaling now.

      Delete
  2. So true. I am loving reading all these letters because they are all alike and very different all at once.

    www.adventureswithcaptaindestructo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Melissa. I love the name Captain Destructo.

      Delete
  3. ohhh i was with you on the binkie i was so adamant against it but then after listening to her scream for 45 minutes straight in the car i broke down and finally bought on. she only uses it once in awhile and hasn't detoured my feeding at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it hasn't changed feeding at all. In my experience it usually doesn't. And it definitely sounds better than a baby screaming in the car. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet letter! Very heartfelt.

    www.monstersgonewild.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one made me cry. I love your perspective on the fact that stuff is really not as important as we think it is. I've been blessed to always stay home, but have had my moments of feeling sorry for myself because I can't buy something I really want/think I need - but then I remind myself this is a choice I've made, and it IS worth it :) I think your last line is also a great reminder. It is so easy in those early days to sleep into focusing so much on our babies that we forget *everything* else. And it can be hard to repair that later. Thanks for joining us for the Breastfeeding Blog Hop! ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting caught up on my replies to comments. Thanks for you comment. It IS worth it isn't it? I'm glad to be part of the hop :)

      Delete