Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Day Menu and More



Sorry I have been missing in action.  It is Thanksgiving day and I have finally found time to write in the midst of my cooking.  That should tell you how busy I have been the past few days.  My parents took us to Great Wolf Lodge in Ohio.  My husband is trying to finish his thesis before the semester is over, so he joined us for some of it and was able to work in an empty (quiet) house for some of it too.  All around a blessing.  Three to four adults are kept very busy at Great Wolf Lodge by a baby, a three year old, a ten year old and a twelve year old.  Mostly because they all have something different they want to do.  But everyone had fun and ended up worn out. 

So for Thanksgiving we have had basically the same menu since my husband joined us for the meal.  So, here is what we are eating for Thanksgiving.
Turkey
Italian Sausage Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Angela’s (jello) salad
Sweet Potato Casserole
Gulliver’s Corn
Pumpkin, Pecan, and Cherry Cranberry Pie
And I am going to try Becca’s crescent roll recipe 
She has a really cute idea about writing gratitude messages on paper and rolling it in the crescents.  I’ll do that if I have time.

In my family tradition Thanksgiving is about all the women cooking together (while the guys watch football).  My mom always makes the Angela’s Salad, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and the Cherry Cranberry Pie and I make the rest.  My mom included me in making Thanksgiving dinner from the time I was about three years old.  Then I helped her make pie crust.  Soon I was making it by myself.  Later I started making other pieces of dinner.  I started doing the turkey by myself at 16. We added the sweet potatoes, corn, pecan pie, and the sausage to the stuffing when DH started coming to Thanksgiving dinner.   This year the girls will help with pies and casseroles.  So far no one has asked to get up early and make the stuffing and start the turkey.

Family and food are an important part of Thanksgiving, but there is more to it than that.  Thanksgiving is about having gratitude for the blessings God has provided.  And although we generally do a good job on Thanksgiving day of thanking God for all the blessings for the previous year, I am feeling like I am not grateful enough.  God blesses me every day, and yet I rarely say Thank You.  It reminds me of the story in Luke:

The Grateful Leper
17:11 Now on32 the way to Jerusalem,33 Jesus34 was passing along35 between Samaria and Galilee. 17:12 As36 he was entering37 a village, ten men with leprosy38 met him. They39 stood at a distance, 17:13 raised their voices and said, “Jesus, Master, have mercy40 on us.” 17:14 When41 he saw them he said, “Go42 and show yourselves to the priests.”43 And44 as they went along, they were cleansed. 17:15 Then one of them, when he saw he was healed, turned back, praising45 God with a loud voice. 17:16 He46 fell with his face to the ground47 at Jesus’ feet and thanked him.48 (Now49 he was a Samaritan.)50 17:17 Then51 Jesus said,52 “Were53 not ten cleansed? Where are the other54 nine? 17:18 Was no one found to turn back and give praise to God except this foreigner?”55 17:19 Then56 he said to the man,57 “Get up and go your way. Your faith has made you well.”58

And I feel convicted.  So often I am not the one who comes back to thank God for His Blessings.  I have read and heard about keeping a gratitude journal for many years, probably more than 10.  I have started to keep one, but never really made it a habit.  I even found Ann Voskamps Joy Dare and yet not made it a habit.  But that is now my goal.  And  you can keep me accountable.  Maybe you have some ideas on how I can implement the Joy dare on my blog? Or some tricks for making daily gratitude a habit? 

I’ll try to post pictures later….

No comments:

Post a Comment