Monday, January 7, 2013

Lacto-fermentation introduction

Well, it has been a week in 2013.  How are you doing so far on your word, resolutions, or goals?  I posted my joy dare this weekend, so you know I have been doing ok on this front.  I have been doing my daily Bible reading and scripture memory too.  And I got Christmas put away.

 But, I did not get my 90 minutes of exercise done last week.  I haven't scheduled time to be intentional about relationships, and I have only barely increased my prayer time.  Probably because I have not done my weekly or monthly planning yet.  So much for planning ahead.

I also have not gotten my probiotic post completed yet...(my goal is Wednesday).  But, I have made yogurt several times and even got my pickiest to eat it more than once.  Of course I had to let her crumble some Oreo cookies in it.  But keep in mind, she only eats strawberry Gogurt or yogurt with Oreos in it to begin with.  So I am counting it a success.  On the yogurt front, my next step is to try to make gogurt like Money Saving Mom or get some Kinderville Little Bites Ice Pop Molds so I can make it like Lisa.

I also made (OK started) my first lacto-fermented salsa.  I used the recipe from Nourishing Days. Here is a picture of it next to my sourdough starter on top of my fridge.  My fridge is starting to look like a chemistry project, although, it is probably more like a microbiology lab.  Those were two of my favorite subjects in nursing school, so you can see why I am having so much fun.  And I have always loved to cook.  Just ask my mom.  She might even tell you about the kindergarten who made up a homework assignment in order to do an experiment in the kitchen.  Yes.  I admit it.  When I was 5, I lied to my mom.  I told her that my teacher told us to mix eggs, flour, and cheese and cook it on the stove.  I just had to know what would happen.

Now, what I haven't done is tell my husband or kids that the salsa I made will be lacto-fermented.  I haven't even said that word to them.  So I am taking a risk by telling you about it.  Because two of them regularly check my blog to see what I am saying about them...My goal is to get them to taste it before they decide it is gross.  But if they ask I will tell them.  What is lacto-fermentation?  And why am I doing this microbiology experiment on my family you ask?

Well, lacto-fermentation uses salt to kill bad microbes and then allows Lactobacillus to turn sugars into lactic acid which gives it a distinctive taste.  Think pickles or sauerkraut.  I did salsa because we eat a lot more salsa than pickles or sauerkraut.  And my family is already used to me making it.  And I am trying it as part of my probiotic experiment which you will hear more about Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment